A man has been arrested on suspicion of assault at the funeral parade of Henry Vincent, the burglar fatally stabbed by an elderly homeowner.
The suspect – believed to be a teenager – has since been released under investigation following the incident in Orpington High Street at around 1.15pm.
It came as mourners confronted police and journalists ahead of the service for Vincent, 37, who died after a struggle with Richard Osborn-Brooks, whose home he invaded in the early hours of 4 April.
One mourner was wrestled to the ground by police and there were reports a photographer was assaulted.
A silver hearse carried Vincent’s coffin, with a floral display spelling out the word “Daddy” alongside it, and several other cars followed with flowers on the roof.
The service was held at St Mary’s Church in St Mary Cray, southeast London.
There were other tense moments when mourners clashed with reporters and photographers and an egg was thrown.
Journalists were advised by police to leave the area to avoid violence.
Earlier, a marked police van full of officers drove past the church several times before it moved up nearby Star Lane, the site of St Mary Cray Cemetery.
Flowers were tied with red ribbons to lampposts around the perimeter of the churchyard, similar to tributes left by Vincent’s loved ones near the scene of the crime in Hither Green, southeast London.
There were concerns that the intruder’s final send-off could be a flashpoint for violence between the bereaved and supporters of Mr Osborn-Brooks.
A furious row broke out over the shrine set up to Vincent’s memory opposite the house which was repeatedly desecrated.
The Metropolitan Police confirmed patrols had been stepped up around South Park Crescent in Hither Green, but said the funeral cortege was not expected to pass the scene.
Undeterred, neighbours of 78-year-old Mr Osborn-Brooks tried to block off the road to vehicles on Thursday morning.
One resident, who gave his name only as Dave, parked his car at the end of South Park Crescent and said: “I think it’s a disgrace that they want to bring the funeral past after all the flower debacle. It’s just not on.”
Dave, 57, said he had parked up despite police guidance that the funeral procession was not due to enter Lewisham.
He said: “There is the possibility that they might bring the body down in a hearse first and do a pass-by and then go back and have the actual funeral (elsewhere).”
Dave said he would remain parked at the end of the road unless a police vehicle replaced him.
The Met said it had sent officers to the southeast London street for “community reassurance” after reports that Vincent’s loved ones would march through the area in an act of defiance.
Mr Osborn-Brooks was arrested on suspicion of murder but was later released without charge.