In her first televised interview about the sexual-assault scandal that resulted in the firing of “House of Cards” co-star Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright told the “Today” show’s Savannah Guthrie Monday that she didn’t know the version of her former co-star that was capable of committing his alleged crimes.
But Wright declined to say whether she thought he should’ve been fired from “House of Cards,” the Netflix show they starred in together for five seasons before Netflix cut ties with the actor over allegations that he sexually assaulted then-teenage actor Anthony Rapp.
“I think we were all surprised, of course, and ultimately saddened. We forged ahead and I think we were all thankful that we were able to complete the series as planned,” she told Guthrie. “We were coworkers, really. We never socialized outside of work. Respectful, professional relationship. He was so great with me, he was never disrespectful to me, so that’s my personal experience, that’s the only thing I feel I have the right to talk about.”
I haven’t heard from him and I don’t even know how to reach him,” she continued. “Kevin and I knew each other between action and cut, and in between setups where we would giggle. I didn’t really … I didn’t know the man. I knew the incredible craftsman that he is.”
When asked if Netflix did the right thing by cutting ties with the actor, Wright didn’t speak specifically about Spacey’s alleged crimes. Instead, she commented on the heightened climate spurred by the Me Too movement that surrounded the initial Spacey allegations.
“I don’t know how to comment on (his firing), but I think at that time, the shock was so intense all over the nation for many reasons, many stories, many people, I think that everyone thought it was respectful to back off,” she said about Netflix’ decision.
Following Spacey’s “House of Cards” firing, the show’s sixth and last season was rewritten to focus on Wright’s character, Claire Underwood, who ascends from being vice president to the presidency in Season 5 after her husband resigns.
Up until this point, Wright has not spoken publicly about the allegations against Spacey, who has been accused of sexual assault and misconduct by multiple men. Spacey, who turns 59 later this month, was first accused by actor Anthony Rapp last October, who said Spacey made sexual advances at a party in his New York apartment in 1986 when Rapp was 14.
Following Rapp’s initial accusation, Spacey issued a controversial apology statement in which he came out as gay. Within weeks, Spacey was fired from Netflix’s “House of Cards,” cut out of “All the Money in the World” (and replaced by Christopher Plummer, whose performance was nominated for an Oscar). His Gore Vidal biopic project was also scrapped.
And in the months since Rapp went public, more than a dozen other men have come forward, leading to multiple investigations in Los Angeles, Nantucket, Mass. and London.
Last week, British police told USA TODAY that Scotland Yard is investigating accusations of sexual assault made by three men who came forward in February and April, which would bring the known total of Spacey accusers in Britain to at least six, in addition to multiple accusers in the U.S.
Maria Puente contributed to this report.