BBC Radio 4 presenter Eddie Mair ‘attacked by gang of youths while boarding London bus’

BBC Radio 4 presenter Eddie Mair has revealed that he was attacked by a gang of youths while boarding a London bus.

The 52-year-old said he initially felt too ashamed to report the incident, which happened last December, to the police.

Writing in the Sunday Times, Mair described how he was circled by a gang of three youths riding bikes while walking to the bus stop after dinner with friends.

The presenter of PM, who came forward after it was revealed that Michael McIntyre was robbed of his Rolex by moped thieves, said he “felt like prey” as one wheeled their front wheel close to his face.

© Provided by Independent Print Limited michael-mcintyre23423i.jpg

He added that he attempted to film their behaviour while he waited for his bus to arrive, but was unable to capture their faces as they were wearing hoodies.

Mair wrote that he was struck on the head by one of the three while he was paying for a bus ticket, resulting in a large bruise above his right ear.

When two of his fellow passengers offered to help him report the incident to police he felt like he “just wanted to sit down and get home”.

He was reluctant to tell authorities what had happened as he felt a sense of guilt about the attack, he said.

He wrote: “I told no one, least of all the police. Not my family or friends. Not work colleagues. I felt shame. I felt I may have been in some way responsible for what happened. Did I goad the little b******s with my video recording?

“As time went on I was increasingly embarrassed I hadn’t reported the crime.

© Getty

“On the bus that night, a woman who came to my aid urged me to report it to try to stop other people being assaulted. That was the most compelling argument for me, but still I resisted.

“For weeks, every time the local paper reported an assault, I believed that I had contributed to it. More shame.”

Mair said he eventually informed the police before he left for a trip to South America.

When he returned to the UK in February officers watched his video of the attackers but had few clues to their identity as their faces were concealed.

They told Mair he should have reported the incident earlier as CCTV footage would have been available for up to a month after it happened.
Facebook Comments

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

SuperWebTricks Loading...
  • :
  • :
error: Content is protected !!