The Republic of Cyprus believes that without Turkey’s substantial and sincere cooperation, there can be no progress in resolving the tragedy of missing persons for the benefit of their relatives, Presidential Commissioner Fotis Fotiou has said.
Speaking to CNA, Fotiou welcomed a decision on missing persons adopted earlier on Thursday by the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe, following its quarterly meeting in Strasbourg to oversee the execution of judgments from the European Court of Human Rights.
The Presidential Commissioner said that the decision taken in Strasbourg covers all aspects of the tragedy of missing persons and takes note of the problems that arise, due to Turkey’s refusal to cooperate with the Committee.
“The Republic of Cyprus welcomes the decisions taken, expressing at the same time deep concern for Turkey’s contempt, through the absence of its delegation from the Committee’s deliberations” he concluded.
Cyprus has been divided since 1974 when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third.
A Committee on Missing Persons has been established, upon agreement between the leaders of the two communities, with the scope of exhuming, identifying and returning the remains of missing persons to their relatives.