- 1065 Westminster Abbey in London consecrated
- 1612 First observation of Neptune – Galileo observes and records a “fixed star” without realising it is a planet
- 1767 King Taksin crowned King of Thailand and establishes Thonburi as his capital
- 1836 Spain recognizes the independence of Mexico
- 1860 Harriet Tubman arrives in Auburn, New York, on her last mission to free slaves, having evaded capture for 8 years on the Underground Railroad
- 1908 Earthquake strikes Messina, Italy, killing nearly 80,000
- 1943 All Kalmyk inhabitants of the Republic of Kalmukkie deported by the Soviet Union to Central Asia and Siberia. Many die en route.