- 49 BC Julius Caesar defies the Roman Senate and crosses the Rubicon, uttering “alea iacta est” (the die is cast), signaling the start of civil war which would lead to his appointment as Roman dictator for life
- 1429 Order of Golden Fleece established in Austria-Hungary & Spain
- 1475 Stephen III of Moldavia defeats the Ottoman Empire at the Battle of Vaslui.
- 1776 “Common Sense” Pamphlet by Thomas Paine, published advocating American independence
- 1839 Tea from India 1st arrives in UK
- 1946 UN General Assembly meets for 1st time in London