- 41 Claudius succeeds his nephew Caligula as Roman Emperor after the later’s assassination by officers of the Praetorian Guard
- 1857 University of Calcutta founded as the first full-fledged university in South Asia
- 1899 Rubber heel for boots or shoes patented by American Humphrey O’Sullivan
- 1908 Lieutenant General Robert Baden-Powell publishes “Scouting for Boys” as a manual for self-instruction in outdoor skills and self-improvement. The book becomes the inspiration for the Scout Movement.
- 1984 Apple Computer Inc unveils its revolutionary Macintosh personal computer