- 661 Rashidun Caliphate, then the largest empire in history, ends with the death of its leader, Ali. Succeeded by the Umayyad Caliphate.
- 1595 William Shakespeare’s play “Romeo and Juliet” is thought to have been first performed. Officially published early 1597.
- 1886 Karl Benz patents the “Benz Patent-Motorwagen” in Karlsruhe, Germany, the world’s 1st automobile with a burning motor
- 1892 The Coca-Cola Company is incorporated in Atlanta, Georgia
- 1896 Emile Grubbe is the first doctor to use radiation treatment for breast cancer
- 2002 US President George W. Bush in his State of the Union address describes “regimes that sponsor terror” an “Axis of Evil”, which includes Iraq, Iran and North Korea