- 1508 Maximilian I proclaimed Holy Roman Emperor, 1st Emperor in centuries not to be crowned by the Pope
- 1778 France recognizes USA, signs Treaty of Alliance in Paris, 1st US treaty
- 1819 Stamford Raffles founds Singapore as a British trading port
- 1840 The Treaty of Waitangi is signed between 40 Māori Chiefs (later signed by 500) and representatives of the British crown in Waitangi, New Zealand. The treaty was designed to share sovereignty between the two groups.
- 1952 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds King George VI to the British throne and proclaimed Queen of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms including Canada, Australia and New Zealand
- 1989 Solidarity union leader Lech Wałęsa begins negotiating with Polish government