- 1238 The Mongols burn the Russian city of Vladimir
- 1301 Edward of Caernarion (later Edward II) becomes first (English) Prince of Wales
- 1842 Battle of Debre Tabor: Ras Ali Alula, Regent of the Emperor of Ethiopia defeats warlord Wube Haile Maryam of Semien
- 1856 Colonial Tasmanian Parliament passes the 1st piece of legislation (the Electoral Act of 1856) anywhere in the world providing for elections by way of a secret ballot
- 1991 The IRA launches a mortar attack on 10 Downing Street during a cabinet meeting.
- 1992 Maastricht Treaty signed by 12 countries from the European Community (EC) to create the European Union (EU)