- 1700 The Great Northern War begins in Northern Europe between Denmark–Norway, Saxony and Russia and the Swedish Empire.
- 1912 The last Qing Emperor of China, Puyi abdicates after losing the support of the Chinese people and thus the mandate of heaven
- 1947 French fashion designer Christian Dior presents his first influential collection, named the “New Look”
- 1999 US President Bill Clinton acquitted by the Senate in his impeachment trial
- 2001 NEAR Shoemaker spacecraft touchdown in the “saddle” region of 433 Eros becoming the first spacecraft to land on an asteroid.
- 2013 North Korea allegedly conducts its third nuclear test, saying it was a nuclear device that could be weaponized