- 44 BC Julius Caesar is stabbed to death by Brutus, Cassius and several other Roman senators on the Ides of March in Rome
- 221 Liu Bei, a Chinese warlord and member of the Han royal house, declares himself Emperor of Shu-Han, claiming legitimate succession to the Han Dynasty
- 1493 Christopher Columbus returns to Spain after his first voyage to the New World
- 1783 In an emotional speech in Newburgh, New York, George Washington asks his officers not to support the Newburgh Conspiracy. The plea is successful and the threatened coup d’etat never takes place.
- 1917 Nicholas II, the last Russian Tsar abdicates and nominates his brother Grand Duke Michael to succeed him [OS Mar 2]
- 1962 Five research groups announce the discovery of anti-matter
- 2019 Climate change strikes held by school children take place around the world inspired by Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg