- 1279 A Mongolian victory at the naval Battle of Yamen ends the Song Dynasty in China
- 1644 200 members of Peking imperial family and court commit suicide in loyalty to the Emperor
- 1863 Confederate cruiser SS Georgiana destroyed on her maiden voyage with a cargo of munitions, and medicines then valued over $1,000,000. Wreck discovered exactly 102 years later by teenage diver and pioneer underwater archaeologist E. Lee Spence.
- 1920 US Senate rejects Treaty of Versailles for 2nd time refusing to ratify League of Nations’ covenant (maintaining isolation policy)
- 1932 The Sydney Harbour Bridge is opened
- 2003 Airstrikes by an American and British-led coalition signal the beginning of the Invasion of Iraq, without United Nations support and in defiance of world opinion