The Greek-American Victims of the Coronavirus

NEW YORK – The coronavirus pandemic has claimed the lives of tens of thousands of people around the world and, with the disease severely affecting the United States and especially New York, it was inevitable that the Greek community would be affected as The National Herald reports on a daily basis.

The first victim of the coronavirus was the World War II veteran, George Possas. The 94-year-old was a first-generation Greek-American born in 1926 in Corona, Queens. He was married to Evelyn Lambrinon, who passed away last year. Together they had four children and nine grandchildren. Possas was an active member of the Greek-American community. He had served as president of the St. Paul’s community in Hempstead and was an Archon of the Order of St. Andrew of the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

The second victim of the coronavirus was 59-year-old Andreas Koutsoudakis, originally from Crete and a resident of Staten Island. He was a member of the Holy Trinity- St. Nicholas community and owner of the Tribeca’s Kitchen restaurant in Manhattan.

Another Cretan, Stelios Volikakis, also from Staten Island, was the third to die of the virus. The 70-year-old was hospitalized for two weeks. He was born in Fones Apokoronas in Chania and immigrated to the United States in 1974 at the age of 24.

The fourth victim of the coronavirus was 69-year-old Avraam Dimitrios Kaltsas. He did not have any health problems, according to his family. He was married to Pelagia Kaltsa and had two daughters. He had previously served as president of the Draminon Association of New York.

Two more Greek-Americans from the community of St. Demetrios in Merrick, Long Island also passed away due to the coronavirus. One was Lou Kouvaris, a well-known guitarist who had founded the band Riot. Errikos Skiadopoulos, 70, who lived in Farmingdale, Long Island, also died. He was originally from Corfu. Skiadopoulos, according to his nephew, had heart problems.

Konstantinos Plioutas, 76, from Bayside, Queens, did not make it to the hospital by ambulance. He had heart problems. He was originally from Dokimi, Agrinio. He was married and had three children.

The next victim was Stelios Manis, known in the Greek community as the founder of the Hellenic Shooting, Fishing and Hunting Federation of the USA, but also of the Shooting Association of New York “Aris.” Born in Athens and originally from Cyprus and Asia Minor, he settled in the United States during the junta. He had been in charge of traffic control for many years in the New York Greek Independence Parade on 5th Avenue.

Prokopis Tzanetis, 72, died in the Intensive Care Unit at a Manhattan hospital. He was originally from Agiasos, Mytilene, was married and had three children.


Facebook Comments

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

SuperWebTricks Loading...
  • :
  • :
error: Content is protected !!