- 1387 Geoffrey Chaucer’s “Canterbury Tales” characters begin their pilgrimage to Canterbury (according to scholars)
- 1492 Christopher Columbus signs a contract with the Spanish monarchs to find the “Indies” with the stated goal of converting people to Catholicism. This promises him 10% of all riches found, and the governorship of any lands encountered.
- 1895 Treaty of Shimonoseki is signed ending the First Sino-Japanese War (1894-95)
- 1961 1,400 Cuban exiles land in Bay of Pigs in a doomed attempt to overthrow Fidel Castro
- 1982 Proclamation of the Constitution Act by Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau