WORLD
Iran sent major warning by US as B-52s fly over Middle East as tension sky high

A pair of the bombers flew over the region on Sunday, marking the latest military demonstration from the US to Iran since President Joe Biden took office. The US military’s Central Command said the two B-52s were accompanied by aircraft from Israel, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and other nations.

In a statement, Central Command said the flights were to “deter aggression and reassure partners and allies of the US military’s commitment to security in the region.”

Flight-tracking data showed the B-52s flew out of Minot Air Base in North Dakota, which Central Command did not mention.

It marked the fourth fly-over into the Middle East this year, and the second under the Biden administration.

Fly-overs with US bombers were commonplace under former President Donald Trump’s final few months in office.

Last year, Marine Corps Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie Jr., commander of US Central Command, said Iran poses the greatest threat to regional security and stability.

In a June webinar, he said: “Iran actively stokes instability and is intent on degrading security all over the region.

“They use proxies and violence to push other nations in the region to their agenda.”

It also follows Mr Biden authorising an airstrike on an Iranian-backed militia last month in Syria, in response to recent attacks on US and coalition personnel in Iraq.

Joe Biden wearing a suit and tie: US President Joe Biden delivers remarks on the Senate Passage of the $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill from the State Dining Room of the White Hou© PA US President Joe Biden delivers remarks on the Senate Passage of the $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill from the State Dining Room of the White HouExpress.co.uk US military power

                                © EXPRESS Express.co.uk US military power

The Pentagon confirmed at least one person died in the attack, which also destroyed nine structures, but the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights claimed 22 people were killed.

Mr Biden told reporters the message he wanted to send to Iran was: “You can’t act with impunity. Be careful.”

An administration official claimed Mr Biden’s office contacted Iran following the attack.

Later reports suggested the US President called off a second strike just 30 minutes before it was carried out after he received an urgent warning from an aide civilians were in the area.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh blasted the US strikes, calling them “illegal aggression”.

The Syrian Foreign Ministry condemned the move in a statement, and said: “Syria condemns in the strongest terms the cowardly US attack on areas in Deir al-Zor near the Syrian-Iraqi border.

“It (the Biden administration) is supposed to stick to international legitimacy, not to the law of the jungle as (did) the previous administration.”

Source: Express.co.uk

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

About the author

Related Post

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *